Hello! Bonjour! Hola! Ciao! Namaste!
How are you all doing today? I have a confession to make, I am a skin-care junkie…sshhh! Don’t tell anyone! I didn’t even realise I was one until I looked into my cupboards and a drawer, which were are filled with skin-care products. It also showed the progression of this skin-care journey that I have been on for many years.
I remember as a teenager and in my early 20’s looking at informercials (we had American cable tv) and being fascinated with all the pretty packaging that held these ‘miracle’ products, which promised to clear up my skin and make me beautiful. What can I say, they were good informercials. Fast forward to now and I still have that fascination with skin-care and yes I admit the packaging too :). I also learnt a few things along the way and am still learning and thought I would share them with you. Let me know if you find this useful or what you’ve learnt about skin-care in the comments below.
- Not all products are created equal. By that I mean, products that contain too many chemicals aren’t necessarily good for your skin. Your skin is a living, breathing organ and just like your body will react to being fed poor quality food, so will your skin. Essentially, read the labels and if the first four ingredients are chemicals with the natural stuff at the bottom, keep it moving!
- Find out your skin type and build a routine that works for your skin. I would love to have no visible pores, moles or discoloration and have skin like Naomi Campbell, or Socialite Sande on Youtube, but that ain’t going to happen. So I work with what I have and get it to its’ optimum levels. Cleansing, exfoliating, toning, serum and moisturiser works wonders for me. I also like to throw in the weekly face mask and a facial when I can afford one.
- Moisturise! Moisturise! Moisturise! Yes I mentioned it in the above point but it deserves repeating. I’m not only talking about moisturiser from your chosen products but also from drinking water. I was not a water drinker for years but I made a conscious decision to increase my water intake. I have gone from no water, at all (I know crazy) to at least a litre a day and working on getting that 2 litres in. So drink it plain, add lemon, pretty fruit, coconut water or mint, just get it in daily.
- Some skin concerns need extra help. I have been battling with some redness in one spot for a number of years and I had tried a lot of creams to treat the issue. Unfortunately, none of them worked. Finally, I went to the doctor for help and although it took time and a few doctors, I am now using something that actually works. So beauties, if what you’re doing isn’t working, then don’t be afraid to get some help from a professional. That could be a doctor, skin specialist, herbalist…whatever works for you.
- Lastly, repetition is king and queen. We live in a fast society that wants it all now (cue Queen) but for anything to work and stick, you have to keep the routine and be consistent. Just be patient and give it at least a month to see any kind of change, then 3 months for anything major to appear.
That’s all from me today and remember to follow if you aren’t already and comment below.
Until next time, be well